Dr. (Mrs.) Shayama Chona
Padma Shri & Padma Bhushan
Former Principal, DPS RK Puram, Delhi
Dr. Shayama Chona, is the Former Principal of Delhi Public School RK Puram, New Delhi - a world class institution. Her efforts to break the barriers of schools to include the poor and the handicapped are unprecedented. She has also launched major initiatives to strengthen teaching of Science, Computers and Information Technology in schools. She serves as a member on 97 Advisory Boards and Committees and is Trustee of the Nehru Bal Samiti and Special Olympics, Patron of ‘Concerned Action Now’, Vice-Chairman of the Society for Human Development, besides being on the Managing Committee of 46 schools and other educational institutions.
Mrs. Chona has given concrete shape and direction to her transcendent principles, by setting up 3 schools for the mentally challenged: ‘Tamana Special School’, ‘Nai Disha’ and the ‘School of Hope’.
As their Founder, she has been working for the upliftment of the handicapped children since 1984.
Not only has her contribution been recognized and felicitated time and again, her commitment in the field of education and social welfare for over 4 decades has given concrete shape directly to the nation’s education policies and welfare programmers. She is the proud recipient of 54 awards, the most prestigious being the *Padma Bhushan* in 2008 and *Padma Shri* in 1999 and two National Awards in 1994 and 1997 and one State Award in 1993 for her work in the field of education and social welfare. For over 4 decades, Mrs. Chona has served the society at large, with distinction and timeless dedication. Her mission to educate and empower both the well-to-do and the needy, the abled along with the disabled, and the ‘haves’ with the ‘have-nots’, has never known any boundaries, and has led to the full realization of the human potential.
Presently Dr Chona is holding the following positions:-
- Member Mission for Women and Child Development under Prime Minister in Ministry of Women & Child Development
- Member Education on UNESCO (INCCU) India.
- Member Round Table Ministry of HRD Govt. of India
- Member Sub-committee of Planning Commission on PPP, Govt . of India.
- Member Central Board of Secondary Education, Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India
- Member Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti , Ministry of HRD, Govt of India
- National Advisor & Member Apex Committee, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- Member Selection Committee National Commission for Protection of Child Rights
- Member Central Advisory Board of Education CABE, Ministry of HRD Govt of India
- Honorary Senior Advisor Education Department, Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
- Trustee Nehru Bal Samiti, New Delhi.
- Trustee Smt. Kamlesh Ahuja Memorial Public Welfare Trust
- Member University of Nova Scotia
- Member Advisory Board from India for Hong Kong University.
- Honorary Director Mayoor International School, Noida.
- Member Advisory Board of Meghe Group of Schools, Nagpur.
- Honorary Director Lotus Valley International School, Noida
- Honorary President Lotus Valley International School, Gurgaon
- Mentor PP International school, Pitampura, Delhi
- Founder Member & President `Tamana’ special schools, New Delhi
- Member Advisory Committee of Palriwala India Foundation, Rajasthan.
- Member Advisory Board of Greater Valley School, Noida
- Member Educomp Solution Trust
- Independent Director Educomp Solutions Ltd
- Honorary Director Perfect International Public Scheme
- Member Advisory Board Coca-Cola India Foundation
- Member Medanta Independent Ethics Committee, Medanta –The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Member Advisory Board Base Sports India Pvt Ltd
- Member The Energy and Resources Institute TERI
- President Tamana Welfare society, New Delhi
- President Special Schools Sports Council of India, New Delhi.