MRS. Lina Ashar
Chief Advisor, Founder, Kangaroo Kids Education Ltd.
Lina Ashar did her primary schooling in England before moving to Australia, where she acquired her Bachelor’s degree in Education from Melbourne’s Victoria College. In 1991, Lina came to India on a year-long sabbatical, and landed up taking a school job in suburban Mumbai, an experience which changed her life. Back then, the education system in India was still grappling with a strait jacketed approach to education, leaving no scope for an overall development of the child, which was a complete contrast to what she had studied. Lina chose to stay back in India to change the antiquated approach to education which existed then.
Her conviction to offer an education which set the child as its centre led her to start her first preschool in Bandra (Mumbai) in the year 1993 with 25 students. The journey from one Kangaroo Kids Preschool to 100+ schools (Kangaroo Kids Preschool and Billabong High International School) across 30 different cities in India as well as in Dubai, Maldives and Qatar, has been a phenomenal one. Lina’s unique approach, injection of potent solutions and radical processes to ensure that the quality of education improved was instantaneously well received and noted.
Lina has been extremely passionate about creating a purpose of learning and allowing children to be thinkers, innovators, problem solvers and to orchestrate experiences that will result in their overall development. With an intention to spark human greatness in every student, Lina was the first in the Indian education industry to introduce a learner centric methodology and introduce innovative ways of learning via integrated and theme based learning.
Lina dreams of a society in which every child enjoys the right to a joyful childhood and top quality education.
Elected Member –Governing Body, CBSE (Under the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India)
- ‘Lifetime Achievement Award for Educational Leadership ’ - Education World, November 2014.
- ‘Lifetime Achievement Award for Educational Excellence’ by Indian Economic Development & Research Association in 2009.
- Acknowledged among the ‘Top 50 Leaders who have Redefined Indian Education’ - Education World, December 2008.
- Part of the Waldzell Meeting in Austria - A Global Dialog for Inspiration, in 2007.
- National Representative for World Forum on Early Care and Education in 2007.
- ‘Rashtriya Ekta Award’ by the Global Economic Council for outstanding individual achievements & distinguished services to the nation in June 2005.
- Women’s Achiever Award by ‘Young Environmentalist Program Trust’.
- Part of various government special projects for improvement of education in India.
“Lina Ashar has already worked extensively with pre-school and primary school children taking special interest in how children can acquire knowledge most effectively. I particularly appreciate her efforts to provide children a stress-free childhood based on the idea that learning can be fun.”
"I was amazed to see the standard of education in your schools. I particularly liked the way the curriculum is designed for students using key components of multiple-intelligence and Bloom’s taxonomy. Inclusion of some students with disabilities in your schools made me feel that your schools are comparable to some of the best schools internationally."